Postcard

Postcard

Friday, December 7, 2012

Marvellous, Magnificent, More - Day Four Norfolk County


“The way she wrote her Ms” draws a lot of funny looks.  

One wintery January day in 2010 when I was brainstorming category names for Voices at Hand a friend told me that one of the things she loved about her grandmother’s letters was her Ms. Since the project opened that spring I’ve collected four mason jars full of Ms and have many more to harvest from a six-inch stack of scanned letters.

It could be any letter really. I’m not sure that I would have chosen M, but now that I’ve been collecting them for nearly three years I admit I like the letter and most words that begin with it.

Miss
Mother, Mom, Mama
Mix
Mmmmm
More


Today a woman brought me a stack of wonderful letters including several written by her daughter from childhood to adulthood.  I was drawn to the Ms and the way they changed over the years. The last M in the collection is on a Mother’s Day card dated 2001—as individual as the hand-painted image on the front. 



















































No comments:

Post a Comment